- 1 Which foods are high in vitamin B12?
- 2 What fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin B12?
- 3 What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
- 4 How can I get vitamin B12?
- 5 Which form of B12 is best?
- 6 Which fruit is best for vitamin B12?
- 7 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 8 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 9 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 10 How do vegetarians get B12?
Which foods are high in vitamin B12?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
What fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin B12?
Below are 12 healthy foods that are very high in vitamin B12.
- Animal liver and kidneys. Organ meats are some of the most nutritious foods out there.
- Clams. Clams are small, chewy shellfish that are packed with nutrients.
- Fortified cereal.
- Fortified nutritional yeast.
What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- changes in the way that you walk and move around.
- disturbed vision.
How can I get vitamin B12?
You can get recommended amounts of vitamin B12 by eating a variety of foods including the following:
- Beef liver and clams, which are the best sources of vitamin B12.
- Fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and other dairy products, which also contain vitamin B12.
Which form of B12 is best?
The body may absorb cyanocobalamin better, while methylcobalamin has a higher retention rate. Both can prevent B12 deficiency, but methylcobalamin should be combined with adenosylcobalamin for best results.
Which fruit is best for vitamin B12?
Vitamin B-12 is not found in fruits, but that’s no reason to leave fruit off your plate. Most fruit is high in folic acid, another B vitamin your body may lack. Fruit is also high in fiber. High-fiber diets may reduce your risk of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
How do vegetarians get B12?
Top vitamin B12 foods for vegetarians
- Dairy products. Eating dairy products is one of the simplest ways to get enough vitamin B12 in a vegetarian diet.
- Eggs. Another source of B12 for vegetarians is eggs.
- Fortified foods.
- Nutritional yeast.
- Shitake mushroom.