- 1 What foods are high in vitamin B12?
- 2 What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
- 3 What causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
- 4 What is the highest source of B12?
- 5 Which fruit is best for vitamin B12?
- 6 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 7 How long does it take to get your B12 levels up?
- 8 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 9 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 10 What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
- 11 Can low B12 cause weight gain?
- 12 How much vitamin B12 should a person over 65 take?
- 13 Which vegetable is rich in vitamin B12?
What foods are high in vitamin B12?
Milk and milk products are good sources of vitamin B12. Many ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin B12. Includes a variety of protein foods such as lean meats; poultry; eggs; seafood; beans, peas, and lentils; nuts and seeds; and soy products. Fish and red meat are excellent sources of vitamin B12.
What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- changes in the way that you walk and move around.
- disturbed vision.
What causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B-12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
What is the highest source of B12?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Which fruit is best for vitamin B12?
Vitamin B-12 is not found in fruits, but that’s no reason to leave fruit off your plate. Most fruit is high in folic acid, another B vitamin your body may lack. Fruit is also high in fiber. High-fiber diets may reduce your risk of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
How long does it take to get your B12 levels up?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
B12 deficiency will also make the tongue sore and beefy-red in color. Glossitis, by causing swelling of the tongue, may also cause the tongue to appear smooth.
Can low B12 cause weight gain?
People with vitamin B12 deficiency are likely to experience a wide range of symptoms, though weight gain is unlikely one of them. If you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain, consider discussing it with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the root cause.
How much vitamin B12 should a person over 65 take?
What’s the recommended dosage of vitamin B12 for seniors? The recommended daily allowance of vitamin B12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms. Experts have estimated that a Western diet contains 5-7 micrograms of vitamin B12, and a multivitamin often contains 12-25 micrograms.
Which vegetable is rich in vitamin B12?
|Meat||Legumes||Fruit and Vegetables|
|liver (best source)||dried beans||spinach|
|kidney||spilt peas (dhals)||brussel sprouts|
|egg yolk||soya products||broccoli|