- 1 What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
- 2 What causes B12 deficiency anemia?
- 3 Is B12 deficiency serious?
- 4 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 5 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 6 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 7 Can low B12 cause weight gain?
- 8 What is the best B12 supplement?
- 9 What are the neurological symptoms of B12 deficiency?
- 10 What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
- 11 What is the best time to take vitamin B12?
- 12 Can lack of B12 cause joint pain?
- 13 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 14 Can low B12 cause hair loss?
What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause damage to your nerves and can affect memory and thinking.
What causes B12 deficiency anemia?
You can get vitamin B12 deficiency anemia if you don’t get enough vitamin B12 in your diet from foods like milk, eggs, and meat. You’re more likely to be low in this vitamin if you’re older, or you eat a vegetarian diet. It can also happen if your body can’t absorb enough of it from the foods you eat.
Is B12 deficiency serious?
If left untreated, the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency tend to worsen and irreversible problems involving the nerves and brain may develop. The risk of experiencing a number of serious complications, including heart failure, may also increase.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
Can low B12 cause weight gain?
People with vitamin B12 deficiency are likely to experience a wide range of symptoms, though weight gain is unlikely one of them. If you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain, consider discussing it with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the root cause.
What is the best B12 supplement?
The best B12 supplement
- Best B12 supplements of 2020.
- Jarrow Formulas’ Methyl B12: A previous favorite that’s held onto the top spot due to its special methylcobalamin formulation that’s easier to absorb than other types.
What are the neurological symptoms of B12 deficiency?
A lack of vitamin B12 can cause neurological problems, which affect your nervous system, such as:
- vision problems.
- memory loss.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- loss of physical co-ordination (ataxia), which can affect your whole body and cause difficulty speaking or walking.
What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
B12 deficiency will also make the tongue sore and beefy-red in color. Glossitis, by causing swelling of the tongue, may also cause the tongue to appear smooth.
What is the best time to take vitamin B12?
Water-soluble vitamins absorb best on an empty stomach. That means taking them first thing in the morning, 30 minutes prior to eating, or two hours after a meal. Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water so your body can use them. Vitamin C, all B vitamins, and folate (folic acid) are water soluble.
Can lack of B12 cause joint pain?
The drop in Vitamin B12 was a major cause for her health-related issues, suggested doctors. Speaking to Sakal Times, Dr Neeraj Adkar, an orthopedist with the Saishree Hospital, said that vitamin B12 deficiency leads to pernicious anaemia, with knee pain.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
Can low B12 cause hair loss?
When vitamin B12 levels are low, your hair follicles may not be able to grow new hair as efficiently, resulting in hair loss. A vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of anemia, which is associated with low iron levels, hair thinning, and hair loss.