- 1 Can you take vitamin B12 long term?
- 2 Do you have to take B12 for life?
- 3 How long does it take to recover from vitamin B12 deficiency?
- 4 Can I take B12 twice a day?
- 5 Can Vitamin B12 damage your liver?
- 6 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 7 How do you know if your B12 is low?
- 8 Are there any side effects taking vitamin B12?
- 9 How does B12 injection make you feel?
- 10 What is the best B12 supplement?
- 11 Which type of vitamin B12 is best?
- 12 Does B12 help you lose weight?
- 13 Does B12 give you energy?
Can you take vitamin B12 long term?
Since B12 is a water-soluble vitamin, it’s generally considered safe, even at high doses. No Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) has been established for B12, due to its low level of toxicity. UL refers to the maximum daily dose of a vitamin unlikely to cause adverse side effects in the general population.
Do you have to take B12 for life?
Vitamin B12 is essential for life. It is needed to make new cells in the body, such as the many new red blood cells which are made every day. Vitamin B12 is found in meat, fish, eggs and milk – but not in fruit or vegetables. A normal balanced diet contains enough vitamin B12.
How long does it take to recover from vitamin B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
Can I take B12 twice a day?
Early research suggests that taking twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin B12, with or without folic acid, does not reduce the risk of diarrhea in children.
Can Vitamin B12 damage your liver?
Some studies have indicated that elevated serum levels of vitamin B12 might be a sign of a serious and life-threatening disease. Such falsely high valued of serum vitamin B12 levels are observed in myeloproliferative disease, acute hepatitis, severe alcoholic liver disease, and cirrhosis.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
How do you know if your B12 is low?
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness.
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
- Pale skin.
- A smooth tongue.
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas.
- Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking.
- Vision loss.
Are there any side effects taking vitamin B12?
Vitamin B-12 can cause very rare but serious allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). This includes swelling of the face, tongue, and throat, and difficulty swallowing and breathing. If this occurs after you take vitamin B-12, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
How does B12 injection make you feel?
A few mild side effects are associated with the B12 shots, including pain or redness at the injection site, mild diarrhea, itching, or swelling. While these symptoms are usually nothing to worry about, you are advised to contact your health care professional if they persist or worsen.
What is the best B12 supplement?
The best B12 supplement
- Best B12 supplements of 2020.
- Jarrow Formulas’ Methyl B12: A previous favorite that’s held onto the top spot due to its special methylcobalamin formulation that’s easier to absorb than other types.
Which type of vitamin B12 is best?
The body may absorb cyanocobalamin better, while methylcobalamin has a higher retention rate. Both can prevent B12 deficiency, but methylcobalamin should be combined with adenosylcobalamin for best results.
Does B12 help you lose weight?
If you want to lose excess weight, vitamin B12 has been linked to weight loss and energy enhancing. Vitamin B12 plays a major role in the body’s essential functions, including DNA synthesis. Vitamin B12 also helps the body convert fats and proteins into energy.
Does B12 give you energy?
Vitamin B12 is involved in energy production in your body. Taking a supplement may improve your energy level, but only if you‘re deficient in this vitamin.