- 1 What are the benefits of vitamin B12 injections?
- 2 Who needs B12 injections?
- 3 Why would a doctor prescribe vitamin B12?
- 4 What are the side effects of B12 injections?
- 5 How often should I get B12 injections?
- 6 How long does a vitamin B12 shot last?
- 7 Can anyone have B12 injections?
- 8 How do you know if your B12 is low?
- 9 What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
- 10 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 11 How soon does vitamin B12 start working?
- 12 How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
- 13 How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
- 14 Can B12 shots make you gain weight?
- 15 What can I expect from a B12 shot?
What are the benefits of vitamin B12 injections?
An injection of B12 can bring on immediate health benefits.
- Increases Energy Levels and Concentration.
- Improves Metabolism and Helps With Weight Loss.
- Boosts the Immune System.
- Helps Improve Sleep Patterns.
- Helps Stop Certain Types of Hair Loss.
Who needs B12 injections?
Who needs B-12 shots?
- People with signs and symptoms of B-12 deficiency. Anyone who is displaying any of the signs and symptoms of a B-12 deficiency or pernicious anemia should consult their doctor immediately.
- B-12 deficiency risk factors.
- People with gastrointestinal issues.
- Older adults.
- Vegetarians and vegans.
Why would a doctor prescribe vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia that makes people tired and weak. Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food.
What are the side effects of B12 injections?
B12 shot side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Swelling at the injection site.
- Mild diarrhea.
- Swelling in the body.
- Low potassium.
How often should I get B12 injections?
Once your B12 levels stabilize, you only need to administer every three to four days for 2-3 weeks. To maintain appropriate levels, it is suggested you take one B12 injection monthly and frequently get blood tests to determine future treatment.
How long does a vitamin B12 shot last?
How long will the effects of a B12 shot last? The effects of our shots vary between individuals. Most people feel the effects for about one week.
Can anyone have B12 injections?
Vitamin B12 injections are generally considered to be very safe. They have no major side effects. However, in very rare cases, some people can experience side effects caused by allergic reactions or sensitivity ( 29, 30 ). If you experience any side effects, speak with your doctor.
How do you know if your B12 is low?
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness.
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
- Pale skin.
- A smooth tongue.
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas.
- Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking.
- Vision loss.
What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause damage to your nerves and can affect memory and thinking.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
How soon does vitamin B12 start working?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
“There’s no solid evidence that vitamin B12 injections aid weight loss. … Some weight–loss clinics offer vitamin B12 injections as part of their weight–loss programs. Proponents of vitamin B12 injections say the shots give you more energy and boost your metabolism, helping you shed unwanted pounds.
Can B12 shots make you gain weight?
Despite the numerous processes in which vitamin B12 is involved, there’s little evidence to suggest that it has any influence on weight gain or loss.
What can I expect from a B12 shot?
A few mild side effects are associated with the B12 shots, including pain or redness at the injection site, mild diarrhea, itching, or swelling. While these symptoms are usually nothing to worry about, you are advised to contact your health care professional if they persist or worsen.